Our goal is to make the claim process real quick and easy. We’ve put several options in place for you to choose from to submit and track your claim. Claims need to be submitted within 6 (six) months of the claim event.
How do I submit a claim?
You have a number of options available to submit a claim on your ZAZU Life policy. These are:
- Using our self-help Client Zone online client portal,
- Calling our claims team at 0861 001 788 (std call rates apply),
- Emailing us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- In-person by visiting us at our head office located at 8 Bedford Road, St Andrews, Bedfordview, 2007
Download and complete the claim form
* Not required if a claim is submitted through our Client Zone online client portal.
Supporting documents that need to accompany your claim
Have the following documents handy to submit with your claim:
- Affidavit declaring relationship to the Deceased
- Certified copy of the Deceased’s ID
- Certified copy of death certificate
- Certified copy of beneficiary’s ID
- Stamped bank statement of the beneficiary
- Copy of DHA-1663 (Notice of Death/Still Birth)
- Copy of latest payslip (only if a policy is paid via PERSAL or payroll)
- Proof of residence for Beneficiary (not older than 3 months)
- Police report (* if death was accidental) – download
In some cases, we may need a bit more information or documentation to assess and finalise the claim, but we will let you know if we need anything further.
How do I check the status of my claim?
You can check the status of your claim by:
- Logging in to your Client Zone self-help customer portal and checking the status of your claim there,
- Contacting our call centre at 086 111 (ZAZU) 9298 or email@example.com who will be able to check the status of your claim for you.
How quickly do you pay your claims?
This is our time to shine, and we are proud to say we have paid 100% of all valid claims in less than 24 working hours, once we have received all the required documents.
How do I speed up the processing of my claim?
You can help speed up your claim’s assessment by submitting any supporting documentation together with your claim (a list was provided at the top of this page). We also suggest going through your policy schedule before submitting your claim which can be accessed through our Client Zone online self-help portal.
All claims need to be accompanied by a completed claim form, or by completing the online claim form in our Client Zone.
Does funeral cover pay out cash when I claim?
It’s a legal requirement that a claimant must be able to choose between cash or benefits (such as a coffin, flowers etc) on all underwritten benefits.
* It’s important to remember that non-underwritten value-added services, such as repatriation, legal advice and others that are part of the ZAZU On-hand offering cannot be replaced for cash.
Are there any limits on how many claims I can file on my funeral insurance policy?
You can claim in the event of the death of any of the lives insured. Remember that a claim must be submitted within 6 months after date of the death.
How does my debt affect the payout on a claim?
It doesn’t. Payment is made to the account of the beneficiary at the claims stage. Payment is also not subjected to any tax.
Is the funeral plan payout and premiums taxable?
No, there is no tax payable on a funeral insurance claim payout.
What happens if I or a loved one passes away before exiting the funeral policy waiting period?
You are covered for death as a result of an accident immediately upon receipt of the first premium.
However, if you or an insured life pass away due to natural causes (for example illness) before the expiry of the waiting period, no claim will be paid.
When does ZAZU Life not pay a claim for funeral cover?
Find out more about why claims would potentially not be covered. Always check your policy terms for information on when you are not covered.
Will I still be able to claim if I’ve cancelled my funeral policy?
Yes, as long as the death occurred while the policy was active and in good standing. Claims must be submitted within 6 months of the death of the insured.
Will ZAZU Life contact my family with regards to a claim, in the event of my death?
We need to be notified of your death, whereafter we will guide your family and the beneficiary through the claims process.